Shame on you… I know what you were thinking.
No… Not that kind of weed!
- Yallow … even though the yallow has beautifully-minute white flowers
- The daisy weed … again, a lovely daisy flower on top
- The creeping thistle… The pricks are awful, but the purple blossom is lovely! We like roses?
- Ground ivy… It smells great when you mow it! We plant lavender for its smell on purpose?
- Greater plantain… They have splendid towers of green seed pods
- Selfheal… an irksome weed with a gorgeous purple flower
- The creeping buttercup… aren’t buttercups a nice flower?
- Sheep’s sorrel… with a fine pinkish-red seed pod tower
- Common ragworts… a weed with intricate star-shaped flowers
- The dandelion with its brilliant yellow buds stretching toward the sky
- White clover… I thought that a four-leafer was to bring luck?
I wonder who decided what a proper flower was to be and what was to be discarded as a weed.
I guess it is another one of those “The Eye’s of the Beholder” things?
Written for Reminiscing the Arts: March 28th.