Say Your Name
Write about your first name: Are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?
Roger: A very common name of men of the Middle Ages.
Probably the most interesting time period of mankind is the Middle Ages. I love the castles and knights and damsels in distress. The killing of dragons to show honor was a mainstay of my life as a fifth grader. I knew (and parts of me still believe) that dragons had to have been real- a true knight never lies!!!
The name Roger means “famous fighter/ renowned spears man”. One of the most famous of all men named Roger was the Norman Lord who became King of Sicily- Roger I. he was said to be “a youth of the greatest beauty, of lofty stature, of graceful shape, most eloquent in speech and cool in counsel. He was far-seeing in arranging all his actions, pleasant and merry all with men; strong and brave, and furious in battle.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_I_of_Sicily)
No wonder my life as a fifth grader was so awesome!!!
During fifth grade, I created a castle- complete with a moot! I draw pictures of the horse and armor of the knight that would rescue the damsels. HUGE POSTERS! I even paper mached a mountain and the den for the dragon to live in so that the knight could ride away, slay teh dragon, and bring back his head! I think that I had about eleven projects on teh Middle Ages before Mrs. Voorhees made me read another kind of book for another kind of project. (My next projects were all about J.R.R. Tolkien’s books- The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.)
If one believes in numerology …
- Roger means a person full of both passion and compassion.
- Roger is a romantic. He falls in love easily and can be easily hurt.
- Sometimes Roger is quick-tempered.
- Roger is a humanitarian. He is broadminded and generous.
- Roger is a person of the land. A man well-grounded in both creative ideas and the details to bring those ideas to fruition.
- Roger is stable, well—balanced, realistic and practical.
- Roger is a self-disciplined man; a man who is successful the things to which he places his hands.
This was an interesting project to research the ‘deeper meanings’ of a name. I had done this before, but it had been a while.
Written for The Daily Post: February 8, 2016. Say Your Name